World

Irans Guards Warn of Decisive Action If Unrest Continues

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates—Irans powerful Revolutionary Guards warned anti-government protesters on Nov. 18 of “decisive” action if unrest over higher gasoline prices doesnt stop, state media said, hinting at a harsh security crackdown.

Protests have spread across the Islamic Republic since Nov. 15, with demonstrators demanding that clerical leaders step down. At least 100 banks and dozens of buildings and cars have been torched, state media reported.

“If necessary, we will take decisive and revolutionary action against any continued moves to disturb the peoples peace and security,” the Revolutionary Guards, Irans heavily armed main security force, said in a statement carried by state media.

The scale of the disturbances sparked by announcements of fuel rationing and price rises of at least 50 percent remains unclear as authorities have curbed Internet access to stop the use of social media to organize rallies and disseminate videos.

But it appears to be the worst unrest since late 2017, when more than 80 cities and towns saw protests by thousands of young and working-class Iranians fed up with alleged corruption, high unemployment and a widening gap between rich and poor.

The Guards and their affiliated Basij militia quelled that bout of unrest, in which at least 22 people were killed.

Now, anger has resurfaced over the governments failed promises of jobs and investment.

Some Iranians managed to post social media videos that showed police firing tear gas to disperse protesters. The images could not be verified by Reuters.

Authorities said several people, including members of the security forces and police, had been killed and around 1,000 “rioters” arrested, some for using guns and knives.

The Iranian leadership is anxious to end the unrest to avoid giving ammunition to Western criticism, especially by the U.S., of the Islamic Republic elite as allegedly corrupt and unaccountable.

President Hassan Rouhanis government said the gasoline price rises were intended to raise around $2.55 billion a year for extra subsidies to 18 million families–or roughly 60 million Iranians–struggling on low incomes.

Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif rejected a statement of support for the protests by the administration of U.S. President Donald Trump, which has dropped out of an international nuclear deal with Iran and reinstated economic sanctions.

“A regime that impedes food and medicine to ordinary people, including the elderly and the sick, by economic terrorism can never get away with the obscene claim of supporting the Iranian people,” said Zarif, according to state media.

Cash Handouts to Needy

Irans faction-ridden political elite has displayed a united front in the face of the disturbances.

Some officials and insiders said the establishment would eventually gain from the turmoil by securing support at parliamentary elections in February.

“Those 60 million people who will receive cash handouts as a result of this price hike will surely vote because the economy is a key issRead More – Source

Related Posts