A group of five friends from Argentina were among those killed when a rental truck was driven into pedestrians and cyclists on a bike path in Manhattan, the country’s foreign ministry has said.
The compatriots were celebrating the 30th anniversary of their graduation from Polytechnic College in the city of Rosario in central Argentina.
A statement from the ministry confirmed the deaths of Hernan Diego Mendoza, Diego Enrique Angelini, Alejandro Damian Pagnucco, Ariel Erlij and Hernan Ferruchi and said the government passed on its deepest condolences.
A sixth Argentinian man with the group named as Martin Ludovico Marro is being treated at the Presbyterian hospital in Manhattan, the ministry added.
Police said a man drove a rented Home Depot truck on to the cycle path on West Street at around 3pm local time (7pm GMT) on Tuesday, killing eight people and leaving at least 11 others injured.
The driver, who has been identified by law enforcement officials as Sayfullo Saipov, 29, from Uzbekistan, was shot by police after jumping out of the vehicle with what turned out to be two fake guns.
It later emerged Saipov had been working as an Uber driver after passing a background check, according to a spokeswoman for the app.
In a statement, the firm added: ‘We are horrified by this senseless act of violence. Our hearts are with the victims and their families. We have reached out to law enforcement to provide our full assistance.’
What we know about the dead
Hernan Diego Mendoza, Diego Enrique Angelini, Alejandro Damian Pagnucco, Ariel Erlij and Hernan Ferruchi were named as victims by Argentina’s foreign ministry.
They were part of a group celebrating the 30th anniversary of their graduation from college in Rosario.
According to La Capital, a newspaper in the central Argentina city, a group of 10 friends were exploring Manhattan on bicycles when the attack took place.
They had left Argentina for the US on Saturday, first visiting one of their friends in Boston before moving on to New York.
Erlij, a well-known businessman in Rosario who made his fortune in the steel industry, had contributed toward the cost of the reunion trip, the newspaper said.
Belgian national, unnamed. Belgian foreign minister Didier Reynders announced that a woman from Belgium had died in the attack.
There are two further unidentified victims.
The suspect was taken to hospital and is in police custody. Officers said his injuries are not life-threatening.
According to reports in Argentina, the five victims were part of a group of 10 people. Of them, four were unharmed and communicated with their families in the aftermath of the attack – the deadliest in New York since 9/11.
One of the members of the group – Ariel Erlij – paid for the trip for two of his former classmates, who could not afford the cost of the tickets, reports said.
Argentina’s president Mauricio Macri tweeted ‘Profoundly moved by the tragic deaths this afternoon in NY. We are at the disposal of the families of the Argentinian victims’ and foreign minister Jorge Faurie said that his heart was with the family and friends of those who had died ‘at this moment of deep and inexplicable pain’.
A Belgian national was also among those killed in the attack.
The country’s deputy prime minister and foreign affairs minister Didier Reynders said on Twitter: ‘I am deeply saddened to announce a Belgian victim in £Manhattan – I express my condolences to the family and friends.’
In a statement President Donald Trump praised the actions of the first responders and tweeted that the incident ‘looks like another attack by a very sick and deranged person’.
The president also tweeted: ‘We must not allow ISIS to return, or enter, our country after defeating them in the Middle East and elsewhere. Enough!’
The terrorist group has not claimed responsibility for the attack.
Mr Trump later said on Twitter he had ordered the Department of Homeland Security to step up its already ‘extreme vetting’ programme, adding: ‘Being politically correct is fine, but not for this!’
Meanwhile the UK Foreign Office has said it is standing by to provide assistance to any Britons affected by the atrocity.
A spokesman said: ‘We are in contact with the local authorities and stand ready to provide any assistance but are not aware of any British citizens involved as yet.’
Prime Minister Theresa May tweeted that she was ‘appalled by this cowardly attack’, adding: ‘My thoughts are with all affected. Together we will defeat the evil of terrorism. UK stands with £NYC.’
Mayor Bill de Blasio of New York described the attack as ‘a particularly cowardly act of terror’ that was ‘aimed at innocent civilians going about their daily lives’.
New York governor Andrew Cuomo said it was a ‘lone wolf’ attack, and there was no evidence it was part of a wider plot.Let's